Friday 11 September 2015

Loui Jover- 'A bigger destiny'


I just came across this piece of art online and feel it's quite relevant to what we're doing at college right now. Over the summer we did a project about books and using them creatively. In our new project it's about combining and overlaying images. This is quite a large scale painting of a train carriage just in shades of black. I like the almost symmetry of the scene and the vanishing point. The man sat in the lower left looks like a warhol of Lou Reed from the back.. that might just be me though. I like the geometric/pattern of shade that the pages of writing add to the painting and the way the grin contrasts with the perspective. Flat vs 3D.

When I looked into the artist, Loui Jover, it turns out that they paint lots of things over pages of books in this way. He mostly paints women which feels quite unimaginative and quite commercial to me:
celestineflume
I like the train painting. The model ones no where near as much but I guess artists need to eat and people like pretty women...

No comments:

Post a Comment