Sunday 13 September 2015

Summer project- 'Altered book'


Our given summer project theme was 'The altered book' where we had to explore books in any way we wanted. We could make things inspired by our favorite stories or use books as a material or something else entirely.
I went and looked at my collection of books for inspiration. I used to have so many more books but I had to get rid of a lot when I moved house.
I picked out three books I really like. Two of them are about maths and the centre book contains images of machines. This book wasn't what I was really looking for. What I wanted was my books containing great old mechanical engineering illustrations.. sadly I had gotten rid of them last year.
Both of these books mean a lot to me. My dad gave me the 'Polyhedron models' book two years ago. He got the book when he was about my age. 

























I have pored over many of the drawings and illustration in these books. They really bring the geometry and concepts alive in my head.
This drawing was inspired by illustrations in this book.




For my project, I decided to make an animation to bring some of these illustrations and graphics to life.
I'm skipping over part of my project here because I don't have any digital images of my mind maps and drawn plans.
For making this animation I started off using an app on an old games console of mine because you can draw straight lines, rub things out and move parts unlike drawing on paper. This is what I made using the app: 


I then copied this, frame by frame to paper:

Then I scanned my 30 frames and put them into photoshop and lined them up.

It took a lot of time to get each of the frames the right size and location to make the animation smooth. I also had to clear-up the other lines around the drawing to make the background plain.
My plan was to then use video-editing software to superimpose this drawing on top of one of my chosen books.



I was really chuffed with how this came out! I could do a series of these but only if I had quite a lot of time... animation is slow and I find that it tests my patience.
In my original plan when I decided I wanted to 'bring the books to life' I planned on making a short film that involved me unwrapping a mystery book and finding that all of the illustrations move. This plan was a bit ambitious for my already busy summer so I trimmed it down to this.
But then I had one final idea to bring the project out of the digital realm and to make it physical: Projectors!






No comments:

Post a Comment