Thursday 17 March 2016

Artist: Wavegrower



'perspectives' - Wavegrower May 2015

Wavegrower is a Gif artist I've been following for over a year and a half now. His Tumblr blog is only 2 years old. Wavegrower aka 
Frédéric Vayssouze-Faure calls himself an 'Ondulist' - Someone who studies oscillations and waves. All of his work is as a gif or video and made using a coding language called 'Processing.js'. Processing is an open-source project to make a language that is designed for artists. Processing has a considerably large artist-mathematitian-coder 


'I’m Frédéric Vayssouze-Faure, a french guy fascinated by wave phenomenons and the vibrating guitar string harmonics theory, therefore inspired by periodic motions in general, and by the purest and smoothest of them in particular : those which are ruled by the sine function.

This blog is a branch of the wavegrower project in which I’m focused on combining minimalism and multitude to create dynamic artworks with more than one level of reading, the first being that every cell constituting them has its own simple periodic motion, meaning regularly looping by spinning or twisting or stretching or balancing or revolving or swinging or shaking or beating or vibrating, in a word : oscillating.'



'For those who ask for my source code: I’ve post some in OpenProcessing here, they all use the same Ondulator class I’ve built to fit my creative needs (basically making multiple simple cells oscillate the way I want). You may find it heavy (“You wanted a banana but what you got was a gorilla holding the banana and the entire jungle” :), but there’s also an aesthetic intention behind: let all this pieces be particular occurences of a more general pattern, come from the same mold despite their specificities, like brothers. '


That last sentence, 'let all this pieces be particular occurences of a more general pattern, come from the same mold despite their specificities, like brothers.' Frédéric is describing the way in which the very very simple motion of each dot up and down also forms a wave which travels along the surface. Just like waves in the sea or ripples in water- the h2o particles move up and down, side to side but generally stay in the same place but from our perspective we see a continuous wave on the surface, traveling outward.

All of this interests me very much but I'ts not what my project is about. I wanted to focus on Wavegrower's medium: Gifs.

I have shown you somebody I consider to be an 'online artist'. His animations are mesmerising, meditative, calming, satisfying, informing.


No comments:

Post a Comment