Monday 4 April 2016

Computer zoom

I made this animation using Adobe After Effects, the same program I made the other gifs for this project on. I love recursive things that go on forever into themselves and the computer screen seems like an obvious thing to use. The computer is like a portal.
I have used feedback loops before- by plugging my camera into my monitor and pointing the camera at the monitor to generate an endless echo. I nicknamed this technique 'Pixelsurfing', you can see a video of it here: https://youtu.be/GrgurEwVfiY

I have made one or two endless zooming gifs before, here is one of them:



fg


































One issue which I always bumped into was the 'swimmyness'- the way the zoom speeds up and slows down. This is because of the relativity between scaling objects. The way I finally worked out how to make it smoother was by using inter keyframes. Keyframes control animation by setting a variable at one point then transitioning to another value at another point. I was animating scale from the first and last frames of the loop only and needed to add a few in between to skew the movement so that it's slower at the beginning. This is all a bit technical but I wanted to show that I revisited a technique and improved upon it.




No comments:

Post a Comment