Thursday 7 April 2016

'In Algorithms we Trust'


Hail the all knowing!
I use Google on a daily basis. You probably do too. Even if you haven't searched anything today you've probably seen a google ad or you are signed into chrome or youtube.
We massively rely upon google and as a company they have potential to influence our lives directly.
They could cause political unrest quite possibly, not by writing articles but by only showing certain articles. Their power is not in content/information creation but in content/information curation, sorting and organizing. And we wouldn't know since they keep the coveted google algorithms as secret as Mr Krabs keeps the Krabby Patty formula.




We are at the mercy of Google's Algorithms, and Facebook's and Reddit's algorithms.
They make calculations by giving posts or search results variables such as how many times they have been clicked and how long ago they were posted. But what if we don't only want to see the most popular things or the most relevant things?
Facebook has a 'most recent' sorting option for your news feed. I prefer it because it's the 'Fairest'. I like to see things posted by people I might not have talked to in a while rather than FB only showing you things by who they think are your closest friends.

This is explained better in this TED talk that I highly recommend!




Anyway, these are musings and I haven't fully thought of how I could turn them into art yet really. I could try letting google do the art for me by using the google images results:


How else could I let the sorting algorithms make art?
how could I represent the concept of what's going on in a different way?

I also thought of a phrase that I've grown kinda fond of:

No comments:

Post a Comment